For more information from Commissioner Chester regarding the Receivership of Southbridge and other information and FAQs, please check the "Commissioner's Corner" tab to the top left of this page.
It will be your task to learn important facts about penguins. You will need to record any information that would be relevant to owning a penguin as a pet. Once you have located your information, you will write a letter to Mr. Popper offering advice on how to care for his pets as well as explaining why your information is so important to Captain Cook's well being. You may use this letter form to help you.
You will also create a slideshow using Max Show. Your task will be is to make an "advertisement" for someone to "adopt" a penguin as a pet. You are to describe the place where your penguin should live so that it will be happy. Be sure to include a photo of your penguin as well as supporting facts to help state your case.
You have just finished reading the story, "Mr. Popper's Penguins." You will now begin your Penguin Webquest to help Mr. Popper take better care of Captain Cook and the other penguins.
1. Take the Mr. Popper's Penguin's Rags to Riches Comprehension Quiz
2. Complete the penguin research form to learn about penguins.
3. Visit these penguin sites to gather the information. There are also more sites below.
|SeaWorld Penguins||Penguins Around the World|
|The World of Penguins||New Zealand Penguins|
|Penguins-Wildlife of Antarctica||Kidzone Penguins|
4. Once your research is complete, write a friendly letter to Mr. Popper giving advice on caring for his pet penguins. Offer your opinion on whether you feel he should keep the penguins or find a more suitable home for them. Use the facts you have gathered to help state your case.
5. You are now going to create a Max Show slideshow putting your pet penguin up for "adoption." You are to choose a specific type of penguin and make an advertisement stating what type of home would be best for it. Be as personal as possible in your ad. Create a picture of the penguin and be persusasive by convincing someone that your penguin would make a great pet. View this penguin slideshow to help you with your drawing. Make sure to include a name, its likes and dislikes, and everything it would need to survive and be happy!!